SLT Meeting Minutes 10/7/22 Members in Attendance: Ms. Trani, Ms. Petrolekas, Ms. Farley, Ms. Mojica, Ms. Twomey, Ms. Altamirano, Ms. Torres, Ms. McGarvey, Ms. Dai, Mr. Fedkowskyi
● Meeting was called to order at 3 pm
● Returning to school/welcome back
○ Ms. Trani explained that policies that were put into place last year (dress code, honors class) were shared with the school community
○ At the moment, our school does not have a UFT representative, so we cannot vote during the SLT meetings but can discuss the issues of our school community
○ Our reopening was wonderful. During the first week teachers focused on safety, routines, and creating norms for instruction. Teachers check in with students daily.
○ The UFT contract negotiations allow for teachers to set up Google Classrooms that will be used in the event of school closures and if students are out because of Covid 19.
○ Covid-19 guidelines:
■ No health screener this year.
■ Anyone who enters the building has to show proof of vaccination. We can have in-person events in the building but must be vaccinated.
■ If a student tests positive for Covid 19, it is reported to Ms. Jelen who reports it to the situation room. There will be a 5-day quarantine period and a letter will be sent out from the situation room.
■ There is no mask mandate
○ Class size: The maximum number of students in a class can be 32. Some classes are at 32 in our school, and enrollment is ongoing.
○ Meet the Teacher night will be an overview of the class expectations
○ All Parent Teacher Conferences will be remote
○ Fridays are parent engagement time
● Safety All safety protocols are from the DOE. The principal and assistant principals went to active shooter training and were taught “Run, hide, fight” which they shared with the staff
○ We are required to have one door open; all other doors are armed at all times
○ Visitor Policy: If a parent needs to come in, the information must be shared with the secretary, school safety, and administration.
Visitors must show an ID
○ Ms. Torres asked how many people are outside with students at recess. Ms. Petrolekas explained that the grades are split in the yard and lunchroom; there are about 4-5 adults in the yard at a time
○ Ms. Dai asked if something is happening, how would people know outside? Ms. Trani explained that staff outside have walkie-talkies
○ At PS/IS 128 we follow the protocols set by the DOE
○ Ms. Torres asked: Do teachers get active shooter training? Ms. Trani explained that administrators go to the training and bring back the information to the teachers
○ Within the first week of schoolteachers and students practiced shelter-in, soft lockdown, and fire drills. A certain number of drills need to be conducted throughout the school year.
○ BRT team discusses after each drill and tweaks things that need to be improved
○ Cell phone policy: announced each day and everyone is onboard to make sure the policy is in place
● Meeting ended at 3:30 pm