Please Note: Some assignments may be posted before they are assigned. Please reference the date to the left of the assignment to indicate when it was assigned.
**Announcement: Students are encouraged to work either independently or with a friend on their assignments; however, points will be deducted for assignments that are identical. Each student should be completing their own work.
Homework Policy: Students have ONE day to make up late homework (unless absent). Homework will not be accepted after that day.
Independent Reading: Students should have an Independent Reading book at ALL TIMES throughout the school year, regardless of whether they have an project due or not. Reading response homework assignments will be assigned periodically throughout the marking period.
Project, Test, and Quiz Due Dates
- "WWWD?" Vocabulary Quiz Tuesday 01/21/20
- End of unit essay due Tuesday 01/07/20
- END OF UNIT EXAM FRIDAY 01/03/20 (STUDENTS WILL RECIEVE A REVIEW SHEET FOR THE EXAM)
- DIRK VOCAB AND COMPREHENSION QUIZ TUESDAY 12/17/19
- PLOT QUIZ THURSDAY 12/12/19
- Independent Reading Project #2 due January 16, 2020
- 11/26/19- Academic Vocab Quiz #2 Monday 12/01/19
- Academic Vocab Quiz 11/25/19 (6 words-- words and definitions available under "handouts")
Summarizing and Inferencing Quiz 11/22/19
Published Mid-Unit Essay Due 11/12/19 Essays will not be accepted without the essay folder and all contents inside it.
Sensory Language Project Due 10/11/19 (5 points are deducted every day it is late). Project must be handed in with work completed in class-- This project was completed primarily in class. Students are expected to publish their work over the week.
Vocabulary Quiz (12 words from "Tuesday of the Other June") Friday 09/27/19. This quiz will also have comprehension questions for "Tuesday of the Other June". Please review Summarizing, Conflict, and Plot
Character Awards Independent Reading Project Due 10/17/19
- Draft of IRP Due 10/03/19 (Please wait for specific draft guidelines)
01/21/20- Get theme essays signed by a parent. This counts as a homework grade.
01/17/20- Write a non-fiction summary for the text titled "Google". Due Tuesday 01/21/20
01/16/20- Complete TEST CORRECTIONS ON UNIT EXAM! (This is not a mandatory assignment) Due NO LATER THAN Thursday 01/23/20
01/13/20- Complete Paraphrasing worksheet Due 01/14/20
01/07/20- Write two senteces for each new vocabulary word due 01/09/20
01/07/20- Get Dirk quizzes signed by a parent. this counts as a homework grade.
01/03/20- Get Plot Quizzes Signed by a parent. This counts as a homework grade!
01/02/20- Study for TOMORROW'S Unit Exam (01/03/20)
01/02/20- Begin publishing your Essays. They are due Tuesday 01/07/20
12/20/19- Winter Break HW Due 01/02/20
12/03/19- Get Summarizing and Inferencing Quiz & Vocab Quiz #1 Signed. Both will count as a seperate HW assignment. Failure to get the quizzes signed and returned will result in a zero for a homework grade.
12/03/19- Complete Mood Worksheet Due 12/05/19
12/02/19- Reading Response Due 12/03/19
12/02/19- Complete Tone Worksheet Due 12/03/19
11/26/19- Academic Vocab Quiz #2 Monday 12/01/19
11/22/19- Academic Vocab Quiz on Monday 11/25/19
11/21/19- Get Mid unit Essay signed
Quiz Tomorrow 11/22/19
- Get IRP's signed by a parent. This will count as a HW grade.
- Study for Summarizing and inferencing quiz (SWBST strategy)
11/14/19- Identify ONE antonym and ONE synonym for EACH vocabulary word Due 11/15/19
11/08/19- Students have taken home their essay folders, which include the completed drafts of their first essay. The published essay is due NEATLY handwritten OR typed on Tuesday 11/12/19. Essays will not be accepted without the essay folder and all contents inside it.
10/29/19- Respond to reading response question #9. Use RACECE. Due 10/31/19
10/28/19- Get Progress reports signed. This will count as a homework grade.Due 10/29/19
10/28/19- Get Hershey Kiss projects signed by a parent/guardian. This will count as a HW grade Due 10/29/19
10/24/19- Reading Response due 10/25/19
10/18/19- Respond to the short response question using the RACECE strategy using the poem "Life Doesn't Frighten Me"
How does the poem's final stanza differ from the ones before it?
10/11/19- Complete Narrative POV worksheet. Due 10/15/19 (Worksheet is available under "handouts" if lost)
1. Get TOJ Vocab quiz signed due 10/10/19
2, Get goal sheets signed due 10/10/19
09/24/19- Begin drafting your IRP. On October 3rd, you will be expected to have completed AT LEAST TWO character awards.
October 3rd: Please bring in the following:
1. Your Independent reading book
2. A draft of your project (This will count as a homework grade)
3. The task sheet and Rubric for IRP
09/23/19- Identify all elements of plot for the text "The Wallet". The text must be annotated (highlighting is not annotating) Due 09/24/19
09/16/19- Write a fiction summary of "The Lost Dog". The text must be annotated. Due 09/17/19
09/13/19- Write one antonym and one synonym for EACH of our new vocabulary words. (Please reference worksheet from class). The worksheet from class must be handed in with the homework. Due Monday 09/16/19
09/05/19- (All three count as separate HW grades)
1. Get Welcome Letters Signed DUE NO LATER THAN 09/12/19
2. Begin looking for your first Independent Reading book (Fiction-- graphic novels and comic books are not allowed) If you need assistance finding a book, please ask me. Due 09/13/19
3. Bring in one subject writing journal (notebook) and Essay folder Due 09/13/19