Membership in the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is one of the highest honors that can be awarded to a middle school student.
Students are inducted at the end of their 7th grade year and must maintain membership throughout 8th grade by meeting the requirements below.
Membership in the PS/IS 128 Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society will be based on the following five pillars:
· Scholarship: Students must have a minimum cumulative average of 90 in their major subjects for the first and second marking period of the 7th grade.
· Service: Students must complete a minimum of 20 service hours during the current school year. Service hours are voluntary contributions made by a student to the school or community, done without compensation or tangible reward.
· Leadership: Students must display leadership skills, which include the ability to be resourceful, as well as effective problem solvers, idea contributors, and role models.
· Character: Students must be respectful, cooperative, honest, reliable, courteous, show care for others, and generally maintain a clean disciplinary record.
· Citizenship: Students must understand the importance of civic engagement and have a respect for the law and fairness for all members of the community. They must demonstrate mature participation and responsibility in school and extracurricular activities.
Students will have the opportunity to apply for membership towards the end of the 7th grade. Those who meet the scholastic requirement at the end of the second marking period (minimum average of 90 in their major subjects) will be informed of their candidacy and will need to complete a short application, which will include endorsements by all of their teachers based on the membership criteria, as well as a short writing piece about why they should be considered for membership in the National Junior Honor Society.
Applications, including submission of service hours, will be due towards the beginning of May (deadlines will be provided).
An important part of meeting the criteria for the National Junior Honor Society involves displaying exemplary behavior. Students applying to National Junior Honor Society must have a clean disciplinary record, which includes not having any suspensions throughout the school year. Students who are granted membership must maintain that clean disciplinary record throughout their senior year or they will be dismissed from the chapter.
We look forward to working with your children and hope that our PS/IS 128 Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society remains strong.